Sunday, March 30, 2014

Lights, Camera, Niner!

I feel like everyone hates having to come back to reality after exciting adventures, but I was happy to see Rome after being away for a week. There are many aspects of this place that really feel like home to me, whether it be: seeing my roommates every waking second of everyday, sitting in the AUR garden, hanging out with friends, or even going to our favorite coffee place for our daily cappuccino. This week has been filled with school work, job applications, and the anxiety of preparing the perfect schedule for fall semester at Central. 

This weekend was a very special weekend for me. Back at home was the premiere of Niner, an independent film that I was actively involved with the production of. Although I was very sad about not being there for the theatrical premiere, I was able to watch it in Rome. Even though I couldn't share this experience with the cast and crew, I was still able to be apart of it. This showed me that for studying abroad, you must make sacrifices. Whether they be big or small sacrifices, I would never trade in this experience for anything. 

This past Friday, my roommates and I decided to try something new. Instead of continuing our consistent consumption of pizza, pasta, and gelato, we decided to go for the more ethnic feel. Kalkidan is Ethiopian, so we ventured off and tried a new restaurant called: Corno d'Africa. I have never tried Ethiopian food in my life, so this was a very interesting experience. I was beyond surprised how much I thoroughly enjoyed it. Unfortunately, I don't think I will be able to find many Ethiopian restaurants in Michigan, so I'm going to have to enjoy it for the time being.

It's sad to see time fly by so quickly here. We quickly approached our final two months. Knowing that time is quickly passing us, it really has helped me look around and really take in the little moments. Even though I should be doing my homework, I am going to sit back and enjoy the nice weather with tea on my balcony with my roommates.