Tuesday, February 25, 2014

When in Rome: Do as the Romans Do

I know I have been talking about my trips and everything going on over here, but I figured this would be a great time to talk about the most important city of them all: Rome! There are so many different perceptions of this old quaint city, and let me tell you, they are NOTHING like what I thought. 

When I use to dream about living in la città di Roma I would always compare it to the movies. Drinking coffee while taking in the quiet Italian lifestyle was something I had always wanted to do. But if you think that’s going to happen in Rome, think again! Rome is actually a big, loud, eventful city. If there aren’t any protests, the packed trams, late buses, and many cafes lining the streets are more of an accurate depiction. 

Rome is obviously known for many famous landmarks, such as the Colosseum, the Forums, the ruins, the Vatican, and many more, but what people do not know is that that is only one small section of the city. Rome is split up into many different neighborhoods. Each neighborhood is different depending on where you live. I was fortunate enough to live along Quattro Venti in the Trastevere neighborhood. My neighborhood is about a 20 minute walk to school and a 10 minute walk to public transportation. There are many different pizzerias, cafes, and fruit stands lining the streets. The locals in our area have been nothing but welcoming and nice. Whether it be Patrizio and Guiseppe at the coffee shop or Mohammad at the fruit stand, they have been more than happy to lend a helping hand. 

My apartment consists of two rooms, a bathroom, a living room, a washer, and a kitchen. It is quite roomy despite the many drying racks lining our hallways. That is one thing that I miss more than anything is a dryer! I am living with another girl from Central named Sarah, and then we live with two girls from Maryland named Kalkidan and Sapna. We have been more than fortunate because we all clicked instantly. Right across the street, there is another group of girls, mostly from Maryland, who we hang out with quite a bit. Other friends of ours come from different places such as California, Maryland, Germany, Egypt, Italy, France, England, and many more!

Being in class with people from all around the world is probably one of the coolest experiences ever. Everyone has such a different grasp on concepts that it’s interesting to hear how different people/cultures interact to different situations. For example, I am currently taking a documentary production workshop class. My teacher is from the Netherlands, and she worked for the Dutch Documentary network for many years. Learning about her filming technique and comparing it to my own can only benefit me in the future. 

It seriously saddens me to know that I have already been here for a month. Studying abroad has been the best decision I have ever made! People say that time flies when you’re having fun, and I couldn’t agree more. Ciao for now!