Thursday, January 23, 2014

Soaring to Rome

Today, I woke up around 7:30 to get the final things that I knew I would forget. Heading to the airport, I got a bit nervous because I have never flown internationally without my parents, so you can probably see my concern. Thankfully however, my newly found friend, Sarah and I will be traveling together to our new school in Rome. I am so happy to have a companion throughout this long and stressful day. 

Our itinerary is definitely out of the ordinary considering we have a total of 4 flights until we are able to meet our destination. Starting out going through our first round of security, you guessed it! I was randomly selected (by the system) to be physically checked for contraband……Surprise there. Then we were sent to wait in a one room, three gate, dull, empty airport until we boarded our one hour flight departing from Windsor to Toronto. After arriving in Toronto, we enter into a much bigger, more lively, Tim Hortons at every gate, International Airport!  We then walked across the WHOLE airport to then sit for three hours. Our next overnight flight will take us all the way from Toronto to Germany, and then finally to our final destination, Roma!

During our longest flight of the trip, we were lavished with our own personal TVs equipped with movies, television shows, and music. We had a colorful group of people around us. When arriving in Germany, go figure I was selected YET AGAIN at random to be physically checkedthey must love me at security!


After sitting and carefully calculating times Sarah and I realized that we will be arriving in Germany around 7:50am. HOWEVER, due to the time changes, we will technically be arriving at about 2am US time, and we will be in Rome at 12:30pm which is 6:30am. We are completely missing a whole night's worth of sleep. It's going to be a super long day, but hey…so much Rome, so little time!

Windsor Airport before leaving on our first flight