Thursday, January 30, 2014

So Then What?

So after an eventful few first days in Rome you would think it's time to relax, but no! You guessed it, time for classes to start. Because of the long walk to school we had to wake up early, but The American University of Rome puts on trips to different places, so we left even earlier to ensure we got spots on the trips at the sign up. We signed up for a weekend trip to Tuscany, a weekend trip to the Amalfi Coast, and a day trip to Assisi. Also, we signed up for a cooking class with Italian Chef Andrea Consoli. 

My first class I attended was the Intro to Italian course, which makes sense because I'm studying in Italy. My teacher speaks absolutely NO english. It's strictly Italian, so that's interesting.. Also that day I am taking a TV/Film Industry class as well as a Consumer Behavior class. After a long exhausting day of classes, my roommate Sarah and I went to the Appertivo that our school was taking students to. An Appertivo is usually located at a bar, and it's more of a pre-dinner tradition. You buy a drink and you get unlimited appetizers that they offer. That was fun to experience and it was located in an area we were not familiar with. 

On Tuesday/Thursdays I am taking a Documentary class, which is going to be awesome because we will have to shoot a 7-15 minute documentary in the city as a final project. After a short day of classes, Sarah and I had to travel all the way downtown to Piazza Venezia in order to exchange our money. We decided since we were already there we would just shop around and get lunch. After a few hours of venturing downtown, we headed back, and I got ready for my cooking class. The cooking class was amazing! We made a four course meal within a few hours. Our meal consisted of homemade pasta (hand rolled noodles and all), chicken, potatoes, and homemade tiramisu. My first week has been a ton of fun, and to kick off to our first weekend, our school is putting a Welcome Back/Kickoff party tonight! 

Here's to new friends, memories, and experiences. Cheers!